CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

August Nights

Someone posted an anonymous comment today in repsonse to my post from May about a show by the Butchlalis de Panochtitlan in order to make sure I knew about the show Raquel (de los Butchlalis) is curating at Highways this weekend. I did already have plans to go to the show, and I will I'm sure comment on it here, but I love the fact that people are pointing me to things I should be seeing. The butchlalis will be performing a new piece entitled "Cockfight!/Pelea de Gallos!" and it looks like they're now selling buttons. Hot! Even if the blog comment was some sort of great internet marketing ploy, rock on. And this show is bound to be interesting and thought-provoking if nothing else; I'm glad someone reminded me to advertise it. So:

ROCKING THE MACHO COCKLESS: Community Artists Respond To Radical Masculinity. Performance · Video · Installation. Curated by Raquelito Gutierrez

What exactly boils beneath the macho exterior of our soft and hard bodies, our prosthetic cocks, and transformed corporeality? Papi duros, significant others and allies resist dominant masculinities and take on oppression in an experimental kite ride across media and zip codes. Featuring D'Lo, Ricky Garcia, Tre Vasquez, JJ Chinois, Jessica Lawless, BdP,
y mas!

Friday + Saturday 8:30 pm
Sunday 6:30 pm $15


Also coming up in a similar vein, a super-impressive lineup at Transgiving on August 20th. I've seen both Turner Schofield and Thea Hillman several times before and both are extremely talented, riveting performers. I'm certainly looking forward to it.

0 comments: