CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

To Buy or not to Buy



I'm sorely tempted to purchase Lost Girls by Alan Moore and Melinda Gebbie. It's erotic graphic novel about Wendy from Peter Pan, Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz, and Alice from Alice in Wonderland, and it's managed to spark my imagination so that I'm quite interested. This Susie Bright interview very much made me want to read the book.

But, it's quite expensive, and I'm quite broke. I could totally picture indulging in purchasing it after I finally get a paycheck again, but that may not happen until Nov. The price, however, is discounted on amazon right now because it's a pre-order, so I'm worried that it will go up to something closer to the full purchase price when the book finally drops, presumably tomorrow.

What's a girl to do? If I wait a year or two, will there be a paperback? (Somehow I doubt it.) I welcome advice on this one.

UPDATE: The Salon Review is well-written and nicely analytical. I'm glad that the review focuses clearly on the quality of the illustrations as much as the story, and I totally believe that its eroticism is intriguing for its moral and intellectual issues even if it doesn't happen to get you off. Personally, I think that it looks like a beautiful, well-made book and that Moore can be a fascinating and provokative storyteller. The illustrations look fabulous and I generally enjoy a well-done retelling or rethinking of a classic story, which this appears to be.

0 comments: