CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, May 21, 2007

In defense of Pride

I spent yesterday at Long Beach Pride. When, a few days before the event, I asked a very cute friend of mine if she was going down to Long Beach for Pride, her response was "I don't have to pay to be gay," which I found fascinating. It immediately put me on the defensive, even though I agree with her in some ways. Pride events are ridiculously overpriced. Long Beach Pride cost $20 to get in the door, and many people I know attended Saturday night (the Indigo Girls performed, which would have been amazing to see) as well as Sunday, which would be $40 even before the insanely overpriced food and drinks get factored in. That's a lot of money. Of course, I spent Saturday night at a house party with friends of mine, which didn't cost me anything, though I did buy a sixpack of beer as a contribution that I then forgot about and left in my car, so I suppose if I had been on top of things it would have cost me $8. I went down to the Parade on Sunday morning, which cost me $1 to take the bus back to the house I was staying at after the parade because it was a decent walk and my feet hurt. If I had left it at that, Pride would have been a very inexpensive bit of entertainment in all. Of course, I didn't. I went into the pride festival, which was fairly unimpressive in terms of booths and available information. I didn't really see anything I wanted to buy or organizations I wanted to join. The crowd, however, was fabulous, and that was, of course, why I was there.

It was by no means my first gay pride event, but it was the first time I went down to Long Beach and I find it fascinating how different regional pride events can be. I was impressed by the vibrancy and diversity of the crowd at Long Beach Pride, particularly at the wide range of lesbians and queer women I spotted. At LA Pride, which I have attended a couple of times in the past, the crowd seems heavily weighted toward gay men. Often young, clean, muscular gay men. If there are lesbians, they tend to be older, often LA Power Lesbian types or lipstick lesbians in femme-femme couples. There are a few cute butch ones, but almost always in couples holding hands or making out with femmey girlfriends. Not that there's anything wrong with that; if I had a cute butch girlfriend, I'd spend all of Pride holding hands and making out with her, too. The revelation for me at Long Beach Pride was the sheer number of people I found cute. There were more than just a few butch girls with girlfriends - there was a huge range of diversity in lesbians in terms of color, type, and gender presentation. There were more than just a few people my own age. There were more than just a few people I would flirt with or date (if I were good at talking to strangers). There were cute girls everywhere. And there were butch-femme couples, butch-butch couples, and roving packs of all sorts of queer females in which I wasn't sure who was with whom. I enjoyed spotting cute girls all day, and was reminded that there really are people in this world, even in (or near) LA, that I would gladly date - if only I knew how to meet them. Of course, I didn't manage to actually meet any cute girls at Pride (except a couple of baby dykes that my drag queen friend befriended). Plus, I somehow managed to get hit on by a straight man (one of the security guards), which I find ironic at gay pride. But, in general, my hope for the universe was marginally restored. There are cute girls out there, and I will meet them someday. Which, in existential terms, is rather worth my $20. It is weird to pay just to be allowed in the gates to see all the other queer folks out there, especially since I really only talk to the ones I already know (and those who wanted to take a picture with the fabulous blue-haired drag queen I was standing next to). And especially since, even at gay pride, I couldn't manage to be seen as gay (hence straight man hitting on me). But sometimes it is good just to see what's out there and that you're not alone, and that's what Pride achieves.

I look forward to LA Pride, where I'll be helping out with the newly instituted Transgender Pride events at LA Pride entitled Transcend: Yield for Gender Liberation. It will be a very different Pride experience, but it should be a great time. We're putting together a couple of pretty awesome shows.

2 comments:

sushipjs said...

You have just indirectly stated all of my reasons for loving San Francisco pride. There are plenty of cute people there of all types, it's relatively easy to meet people, and you don't have to pay to be gay either.

My favorite thing about Long Beach is how spread out the festival is. Unlike LA, with its small space and overabundance of concrete, Long Beach gives you space to sit and hang out, with plenty of grass no less.

Anonymous said...

I apologize for the late notice, but GenderQueer Revolution and Christopher Street West finalized this agreement only very recently. I think I may have sent this to you, but I was wondering if perhaps you would be interested in passing this along to anyone interestted in performing/presenting/educating through art about genderqueer during GenderQueer Revolution's time on the Empowerment Stage at Los Angeles Pride this year on June 9 and 10. Thank you.

-Alexander the Great/Goddess





Please do spread the word if you can! Thank you!

Many of you have contacted us requesting an extension, and we have granted it.
But you had best hurry, because you only have a few days to submit your proposal to perform at one of the largest Pride venues in the world.

From the GenderQueer Revolution Board: Please see the contact information and instructions for submission (below).

GenderQueer Revolution, as part of an unprecedented agreement with Christopher Street West, will be presenting at the Empowerment Stage at CSW Pride this year on June 9 and 10th. We are looking for genderqueer performers with presentations/performance pieces with a uniquely genderqueer feel that will enliven, entertain, energize, and also, educate the wider world about genderqueer at one of the largest Pride events in the world. Those selected will have the opportunity to promote their art and their uniquely genderqueer selves by performing before a vast and diverse audience at Pride (including the throngs of people in the entertainment industry) and by selling art and merchandise.

Interested? Then we need to hear from you ASAP!!!! Our selection committee will want to get a feel for you as a performer/presenter as well as your performance. You must provide video of the EXACT performance piece you would like to submit, preferably before a live audience (or reference past GenderQueer Revolution events at which you have performed). Your performance piece/presentation should fall between 10-15 minutes in length. We will have access to microphones, equipment to play audio CDs, and guitar amplifiers.

Send links to video to info@genderqueerrevolution.org.

-Alexander the Great/Goddess

--

--
"A great revolution in just one single individual will help achieve a change in the destiny of a society and, further, will enable a change in the destiny of humankind." -Daisaku Ikeda
"Revolution is not the uprising against preexisting order, but the setting up of a new order contradictory to the traditional one" -Jose Ortega y Gasset
"A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices." -William James
"The uncreative mind can spot wrong answers, but it takes a very creative mind to spot wrong questions." -Antony Jay
---
Alexander Yoo, MA, President
Rabbi Levi, Secretary
Mike/Michelle Dennis, Treasurer
www.genderqueerrevolution.org
info@genderqueerrevolution.org
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/genderqueerrevolution
http://www.myspace.com/genderqueerrevolution
© Copyright 2007, GenderQueer Revolution