CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, August 26, 2006

On YA Lit

There's an excellent discussion of young adult literature over at bookshelves of doom. Ok, there's always a great discussion of young adult literature at bookshelves of doom, but this particular one is in response to a newspaper article on Grown-ups turning to teen books. I find the list of young adult literature that adults will enjoy fascinating. Here, in no particular order, are some of the children's and young adult books I've read and enjoyed since passing out of the target age range of young adult literature:

Dangerous Angels by Francesca Lia Block
Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan
Uglies by Scott Westerfeld
Rose of No Man's Land by Michelle Tea
the Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum
The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett
The Bromeliad Trilogy: Truckers, Diggers, and Wings by Terry Pratchett
Coraline by Neil Gaiman and Dave McKean
The Black Cauldron by Lloyd Alexander
Summerland by Michael Chabon
The His Dark Materials Trilogy by Philip Pullman
Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (but I don't recommend any of the other Ender books at all and I'm generally opposed to Card's personal politics).
A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket

Now, I know that many of the books above may be closer to children's than young adult and some are rather old and many are sci-fi, so they might not make everyone's list of good YA literature for adults, but I thought I'd share some of the things I like. I also think it's important to note that while "Young Adult" may be a relatively new category of fiction, books that crossed between child and adult audiences, especially in the science fiction and fantasy genres, have a strong tradition.

I also totally want to read:

King Dork by Frank Portman
Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
Peeps by Scott Westerfeld
Tithe by Holly Black
A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray

0 comments: