CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, February 15, 2007

Forcible Upgrade

Darn you, Blogger. I was just forced to upgrade to the new Blogger, which would have been fine if there were any new features I particularly cared about, but really, as far as I see it this is a lot of hassle without much progress.

What bugs the heck out of me is the fact that I happen to have two gmail accounts, one related to this blog and one where I receive all of my school email. I HATE that I now have to sign out of my regular email account, which I am accustomed to having open all the time, in order to blog. I think this is just dumb. There are, of course, solutions, such as opening blogger in a different browser (safari rather than firefox, not just a different window) or using mail to download my email, but I think either of these is an unnecessary inconvenience. Grr.

It also sucks that in the process of transferring, Blogger threw all of the links in my sidebar into one large list that is then not easy to separate out into the 3 categories I had before. This does give me the opportunity to rethink and reorganize my lists, but again, it's certainly more hassle than progress. I'm not going to have time to do this for at least a week, since I'm in New York and have more important work to do. So if you just got cut from my link list, I apologize, and I will fix it in a week or two. Feel free to drop me a note about it if you want.

And in all this, I thought the advantage was that the templates would be more easily customizable, but I still can't manage to change the background color of this to a slightly less bright pink. And there still isn't much in the way of purple options, which would make more sense for something called violet. I assume most of you read this in a newsreader of some sort anyway, but if not and you have opinions on how it should look, I'd love to hear them.

Of course, prophecy boy is right when he said this is why you use something that's fully customizable instead of locked into templates and whatnot. But I was intimidated by that thought and not that serious about it when I first started blogging and I didn't have any serious problems with blogger until now. Sigh.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't fret about it...enjoy NY! I am geeky enough to envy your library time watching footage of shows.

You can segregate your lists when you have time to play with it. It's possible with some tweaking. As these template things go, Blogger is still one of the better ones. Even TypePad, with paid features has many limitations. Having been the route of web development, I prefer simple. That's probably just a sign of my age. :) My personal website can't be updated without my computer, whereas the blog can be updated from anyone's computer. blah blah blah.

PMG said...

The other nice thing about the new Blogger is labels. I love labels! Did they not have a template that matched your old one? When I switched over, I was able to pick the same template, and there wasn't much visible difference.

Glad to know you aren't frozen to a sidewalk somewhere in lower Manhattan!

Violet Vixen said...

I'm no good with labels/tagging/whatever. I just don't care much. And yes, the template's the same, but if they were going to make it more customizable, I want to be able to change ALL the colors easily, not just the text colors. I find the pink on the sides just one shade too close to Pepto Bismol (sp?) for my taste and if I could play with it I'd be much happier with the changeover. The whole thing isn't bad (except the logging in and out of 2 different gmail accounts) except that it's enough to bug me without being enough for me to take the time to deal with it right now. And I totally am frozen to the sidewalk - I slipped on an icy patch fell on my butt right in front of the Performing Garage today.

Chris C. said...

VVxn, you'll find no excusing of the New Blogger from me. If you could see me, you would see my eyes hurling daggers at the mere mention of the name. I also got forced into it, at a most unadvantageous moment when I don't have any time to deal with such issues as, for example, the fact that I suddenly cannot upload images; apparently there is now some mysterious disconnect between my publisher (Yahoo) and Blogger.

I. Hate. It. *glower*

My sympathies, my dear.

Enjoy New York! :)