CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Weekend Plans

Thursday seems as good a day as any to look forward to what I could and should be doing this weekend.

First of all, tonight (3/29) is Club Butchin' LA. Though I probably won't go because I don't have anyone to go with me and clubs/bars are much harder for me to attend alone than shows are, this is a great event. My previous experience demonstrated that the crowd is fun and very cruise-worthy with fascinating negotiations of queer masculinity and femininity. Very hot. When I went, I spent lots of time chatting with aquaintences, dancing a bit, and even watching someone I had briefly dated make out heavily with a cute girl. Totally fascinating.

Friday (3/30), The Miracle Whips and Shitting Glitter are performing at Pitzer. I don't know if I'm up for the drive, but I really enjoy the performances I've seen by the Miracle Whips thus far and I hear amazing things about Shitting Glitter and they'd both probably be worth the effort.

Saturday is when I get in real trouble because the butchlalis are performing at the LA Gay & Lesbian Center. It sounds like it'll be a great show. Plus, I haven't gone to see the Aqui No Hay Virgenes exhibit yet, so I sould really be there. Unfortunately, I'm instead committed to going to a sock hop out in Burbank with a friend who loves to dance. This should be totally fun, despite my lack of coordination or any sort of dancing talkent or skill, but I'm sad to miss the butchlalis. Though if not for the social obligations and beginners lessons starting early you could totally go to the sock hop after the butchlalis show, and I'm seriously interested in seeing queer folks at this event, so if you feel like subverting the heteronormativity of '50s partner dancing, let me know or just show up. No dancing skill required.

If neither of the above events are your thing, perhaps you will enjoy the fact that this is LA Leather Weekend. I'm not so much into the Mr. Leather 2007 contest on Saturday night or the Military Man after party (NSFW). But I might actually find myself tagging along with some of my gay guy friends at the streetfest on Sunday afternoon. It could be fun if the weather's nice.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hullo!

On the subject of weekend plans... My full-length play "Infinite Black Suitcase" opens this weekend for a five-week run at the Lillian. You saw a workshop production of it a couple years ago at Moving Arts (maybe with my friend Adam Simon?). TheSpyAnts are doing a full production. Hope you'll come! I'm very proud of it. More info at www.thespyants.com.

~Ellen *who lurkingly reads your blog, esp. theater posts, sometimes*
_________________
EM Lewis
_________________