CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, August 10, 2009

Crushable Women

Julie and Julia. The Grove. 8/10/09.

I saw Julie and Julia last night, and I enjoyed it quite a bit, but this post is really just as much inspired by this Daily Beast article and the Jezebel response to it that I just happened upon. Mostly, I want to point out that these articles are appropriating terms of romance to describe professional relationships and envy, which are strange usages of terms like "lust" and "crush." Female-female relationships can slip between homosexuality and homosociality, but it seems to me that both of these articles de-eroticize the "girl crush" in really unfortunate ways. For me at least, there is a difference between the women I admire because I want to be like them and the women I admire and might want to sleep with, even if that difference might occasionally be slippery, too. Both of these articles make me wonder if and where attraction might be in the relationships and whether the use of terms like "crush" might have something to say about the paucity of models for female friendship and mentorship.

Which brings me to Julie and Julia. I'm only talking about the film here, not the book or the blog, and certainly not the person, but one thing that I found particularly striking about the film was its portrayal of female relationships. At one point (and this isn't an exact quote), Julie asks, 'aren't you supposed to like your friends'? Julie's relationships in the film with other people, particularly other women, were distant, strained, impoverished. There were those three condescending women she had lunch with, whose relationship was never even explained. I guess they were supposed to be friends, but they didn't seem to even like each other.

In contrast, there was Julie's relationship with Julia Child, which bordered on the obsessive. Was this a "girl crush?" Probably not in the way Doree Shafrir describes it and probably not in a romantic way, and yet the relationship in Julie's head was the only well-defined female-female relationship in Julie's part of the movie. She had some dinner guests, a mother in the form of answering machine voice, and a woman she occasionally high-fived across cubicle walls. There were occasional scenes with friend to whom she vented, but there wasn't much a sense of friendship or support. Julia had female collaborators, a pen-pal, a sister, even a female nemesis of sorts and all of those characters felt much more rich than any of the women in Julie's life.

This might be a reflection of contemporary life, in which we've lost a sense of the possibilities of female friendships that aren't superficial, obligatory, or competitive, or it might just be a part of the failure of the film to develop the character of Julie Powell with the depth and complexity and vibrancy that Meryl Streep's portrayal of Julia Child had, both of which I believe are problems.

Let me be clear that I really did enjoy the film Julie and Julia, but I also felt that it suffered from a generation gap. Amy Adams' Powell seems as so much less interesting than Julia Child, but that is at least partially because I don't think writer/director Nora Ephron really understood (or liked) the character. Powell is given long, boring scenes about what a blog is and how to start one that may be necessary if your intended audience is over sixty, but that seem incredibly simplistic and alienating to an audience of Julie's contemporaries. I find this LA Times article particularly illuminating in its discussion toward the end of the article about how Ephron had trouble "creating tension within Powell's narrative"; that failure is apparent onscreen in the difficulty I had liking or identifying with the character. I feel that there must be a way to have made Julie's quirkiness and affectations endearing, but the film portrayed her as self-centered and helpless instead. Again, I wonder if this is a reflection on the images and possibilities for contemporary women, or just a slight misstep. Any thoughts or insight would be welcome.

Either way, I very much recommend the film, but with the caveat that the portrayals of Julie Powell or contemporary female relationships are not why I recommend it. Go for the food, the cooking, and Meryl as Julia. Go for the fact that it's a movie about women, for once. I definitely enjoyed the film, and left the theater discussing dessert recipes with friends, and that in itself is a wonderful thing. Perhaps, even if this isn't a film that portrays non-competitive contemporary female relationships, it can be a film that helps build some.

5 comments:

Alexandra said...

I've been using the term girlcrush for ages, and mostly in similar terms to how it's used in both of those articles, although I think the Daily Beast article in particular de-eroticizes the word crush a lot more than I really do, because there's always an element of eroticism involved in the word for me, even if it's sometimes kind of abstract. And I think this is obviously different for me, because I generally don't see other girls as people to sleep with, but in my experience, reframing the use of the word crush has been something really important and valuable. I think it's because I grew up having crushes on boy after boy, most of which left me feeling pretty worthless, so in some way, the idea of the mostly-platonic girlcrush has enabled me to situate desire outside of that heterosexual matrix, even though I am mostly straight. (For the record, currently I have girlcrushes on Laura Roslin, and on this one woman in my yoga class who does the most amazing handstands and who has the same kind of body shape that I do, so if she can do them, maybe I can be like her one day and do amazing handstands, too!)

I totally agree that it does reflect a paucity of models for female friendship, because I think it's a way of adapting the kind of relationship women are supposed to aspire to (heterosexual, romantic) and turning it on it's head. But I also wonder if it also hearkens back to older models of female friendship. From the very little that I know of Victorian social history and literature, for instance, it seems like a lot of young women expressed their friendships in terms that were really erotic, and that there was a lot more physical contact between girls than might be considered acceptable today. The example that comes to mind is how totally devoted to each other Anne and Diana are in Anne of Green Gables.

Anyhow, just some thoughts! I've been pondering the ins and outs of the girlcrush for a while now so I'm glad to see you talking about it!

Alexandra said...

And I'm sorry that I basically wrote a novel on your blog. I didn't mean to. It was an accident.

Violet Vixen said...

Nothing wrong with a long comment!

I was just trying to emphasize the sense of attraction that the Daily Beast article was minimizing. I think the idea of a girlcrush carries the connotation that "I don't generally sleep with women, I don't intend to sleep with this woman, but if I were going to, say, make out with a woman, it would be someone like her." The article implies that it's just a nicer sort of jealousy, and I think thinking of it 100% professionally diminishes the relationship between 'want to be like her' and 'want her' that I think makes the idea of the girlcrush more exciting.

And yes, the old-fashioned romantic friendship does fall into this spectrum somewhere, but I do want to emphasize that at least some if not many romantic friendships were indeed lesbian relationships.

Alexandra said...

Oh, yes, obviously many of the old romantic friendships were lesbian relationships - I meant to make it clear that I was taking that into account, but I didn't really, sorry.

And, yeah, I do think professionalizing the girlcrush is strange. It's almost like it's trying to justify attraction between women because people are afraid of admitting that it could be erotic.

Summer Vega said...

Great post and great movie. I wanted to touch on the issue of modern female friendships as portrayed by julie's character. I think its interesting that the possibility of women having shallow friendships is so shocking when society at large tells us that men ONLY have these types of friendship...you know the kind that are about who has banged more chicks and scored more goals. Do Julie's friendship in the movie indicate a "masculinizing" of women's friendships... or the portrayal of them at least?