CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Femme Visibility

Since I was seriously craving some queer femme images recently, I thought it was perhaps about time to offer up femme-y links. Most of these are old news, but they're what I've got. I'd love to learn about what I'm missing.

I indulged by desire for femme pinups by purchasing the iheartbrooklyngirls calendar, which has 12 months of femme girls from Brooklyn, each posing as a pinup from a different decade. Now on sale for $10 (plus $3 shipping), it's quite a steal. Of course, I'd be happier if all the images were 40s and 50s styled, but the photos are quite lovely anyway.

Maria Angeline at Daily Dose of Queer has a Call for Submissions out for an anthology entitled Visible: A Femmethology. Submissions are due March 15, so get writing. Part of me wants to write something about retro-femmininity as a visibility stragegy, but I'm not sure what to write and who has time right now to write anything that's not dissertation? Ugh.

Darrah de Jour's Femme in the City month column at Dot Newsmagazine is occasionally fabulous and always offers up an interesting femme perspective on life and relationships.

Blogger saltyfemme asks some femme questions for which I have no answers and thus remain silent. But if you have something to say, she'd love your comments.

Midnight Bridges is femme blogger who is frequently amusing. She posted this lovely butch/femme meditiation a while ago.

Sassyfemme is another femme blogger out there.

The Femme Files in addition to being a fun femme blogger (who has been unfortunately silent recently), occasionally has fabulously femme posts such as this lovely conversation on nail polish colors we had a while ago.

Team Gina are a pair of musicians who seem to identify as femme based on the song "ButchFemme," which is super fun.

Jackadandy posts an occasional but fabulous series of tributes and profiles of femmes, many of whom ze met at the Femme 2006 conference. The most recent is of MizChris of Butch-Femnme.com. This is a seriously excellent series of posts and I totally want more.

Femme books: The classic butch/femme book is Joan Nestle's The Persistent Desire, of course. As silly as it is, I love Shar Rednour's Femme's Guide to the Universe. Sally Munt's Butch/Femme is a pretty good collection of essays. Laura Harris and Elizabeth Crocker's Femme and Chloe Brushwood Rose and Anna Camilleri's Brazen Femme have the advantage of being entirely femme-focused, though I found both hit-and-miss in holding my attention.

My favorite femme performance artist is, of course, Lois Weaver, but I'm open to more.

Then there are fabulous queer women who may not identify as femme but do femininity in fascinating ways. Some of my favorites are Michelle Tea and Thea Hillman.

So, those are the queer femme links that I have off the top of my head (and my newsreader, of course). I wish I had more, so seriously, if you have suggestions, pleaase let me know. Who am I missing? Do you have a favorite femme?

4 comments:

Mark said...

Surely Pandagon is already on your radar, yes? It's long been one of my favorites.

Chris C. said...

Well, you know I love this post, V.Vxn. :)

I wasn't aware of some of these, so...thanks! And merci for linking me; you can rest assured there are more 2007 Femmes coming.

A blog I enjoyed but appears to be dormant is Femmenation at
http://femmenation.blogspot dot com. There's some good writing in the archives.

I also love Bush Magazine out of Oakland, which I've never seen declared specifically as Femme but which definitely includes butchly and femmely events/life. http://bushmagazine.blogs.friendster dot com/bush_magazine/

They also have a new place on myspace at http://www.myspace dot com/bushmagazine

By the way: Michelle Tea and Thea Hillman are SO on my Femmedar, however they identify! Totally Jack's cup o' tea, oh my, yes...! ;)

Samantha- Actiongirl! and Femme Extrordinaire said...

hiya. just came across your blog and realized we have a bunch in common- i too am a grad student (women and gender studies)-femme-performance artist/actor/activist (not that i officially know that you are any or all of these things- just a hunch).

i started a blog a while ago that i have unfortunately been pulled away from but you have inspired me to get back on it. here's the link if you'd like to check it out: www.thefemmeproject.blogspot.com

talk soon- great resources p.s. another one i've just finished reading that has some great femme content is:

Nobody Passes: Rejecting the Rules Of Gender and Conformity by Matthew Bernstein Sycamore

and.... i heart michelle tea as well. yum!

Visibility said...

Gender has always felt to me like something essential and deep and hard to put your finger on. One's femmeness is a core piece of one's identity and has a lot to do with how one's walk in the world, experience being female bodied, how one's connect with one's power, how one's connected to queer history, and generally do everything one does.