CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Thoughts on Masculinity

Not mine, yours. This is a completely random request of a friend of mine, not to me but to bearsir for input on masuclinity as part of brainstorming for a new show, but it seems like a pretty wide call where more imput would be better, so perhaps it's generally worth reposting even though no one asked me to. Hopefully Turner won't hate me for it.

Reply in the comments or send email to turner atsign undergroundtransit dot com.


Hey folks --

As many of you know, I am hard at work on my new show, "Becoming a Man in 127 EASY Steps," which premiers in Seattle in May. I'm working on a section about what kind of man I could be, and it's set to Aimee Mann's "Guys Like Me" -- which you could hear on iTunes if you were so inclined.

Aaaannnyway. I've been asking male-identified people for a few years now about what it means to them to be men. I wanna get one last wave. This time I'm opening it up to anyone who is, was, will be, wants to be OR is not, was never, will never, and does not want to be. Yeah, I'm askin' YOU.

So:

What does it mean, to you, to be a man?

More specifically:
--What are some of the steps you take (have taken, will take) to become a man?
--How do we differentiate "man" from "boy"?
--What does it feel like to be a man, physically?
--Name 3 ways in which being a man feels different from being a woman (or another sex and/or gender that is not male/man).
--What else feels important for you to say about being or becoming a man?


Okay, so y'all know I'm not interested in making sweeping generalizations here about "man" and "woman." In fact, I'm not even interested in philosophy or theory. What I'm actually looking for are all the idiosyncratic ways we think and experience and write about maleness and being a man. No answer is "right", no answer will be privileged as "better" than another. I'm just interested in what you think, feel, and believe. Those answers may help me write for the show.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Turner
turner atsign undergroundtransit dot com

0 comments: