CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Bookings

Support queer/trans speakers and performers!

S. Bear Bergman is currently working on booking the upcoming year in performances, lectures, book tour, etc. Ze will be promoting hir new book Butch is a Noun, which I can't wait to read. Ze also has a new performance piece called Monday Night in Westerbork. Having read Clearly Marked but not seen hir live, I'm dying to get hir out to LA. Does anyone have brilliant ideas on who has the power to do this and/or how to make it happen? Anyone out there with connections to appropriate performance venues, campus organizations, etc? Any brilliant ideas that I could help out with? Anyway, if you're interested in bringing hir to your town (even if it's not LA), now's the time to get in touch with hir and make it happen.

Kate Bornstein is also currently booking the upcoming season. Again, if you're looking for performers or speakers, check her out.

And, I will once again put in a plug for my personal very very favorite trans performance artist, Turner Schofield. I don't actually know what he's up to, but he's probably booking for the fall or spring. If you have the power to bring him to you, do not hesitate even for a second. And again, if you have a brilliant idea or way to bring him to LA, please let me know what I can do to help.

UPDATE: Here (on the book's website) is a fabulous interview between Turner and Bear. It starts off hilarious and moves into sweet and serious with some interesting discussions of different gender categories and identifications (mostly butch, femme, metrosexual, dandy and combinations thereof). It throws a lot out there to think about. These two are quite a pair. They're both clever and funny and well-read, and I look forward to more great things from both of them.

UPDATE 2: I emailed A Different Light Bookstore and told them that since they were doing a reading with Bear and Thea Hillman in San Francisco, that they should totally bring them both down here as well. I don't know if it will work, but I encourage others of you out there to try, since the more voices they hear on this mattter, the better the odds that they'll listen.

0 comments: