CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Comedy and Queer Space

Three Dollar Bill. Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre. 9/15/06.

Three Dollar Bill is a monthly late-night queer comedy show. I attended this month's show mainly to see The Miracle Whips, a group of super fun and sexy femme feminist burlesque performers. Though they only did one number, and it's one I've seen before, they're still great to watch. I can't wait to see them perform more.

I was suprised to have also enjoyed the rest of the queer comedians who performed that night. I don't feel comfortable doing a full review, because I walked in late and thus didn't see the whole show, plus there wasn't a program so it's hard to tell who's who, but the whole show was fun and funny, as it should be. The show was also very quick, which can be nice (there's nothing worse than comedy that drags on too long), but I think a little more show for my money would have been nice.

My major observation, though, was how nice it was to be out at a queer event watching a range of queer performers, and more importantly being a part of an audience that consisted of a wide range of gender expressions. Call it the femme in me, but I love getting dressed up and going out to a late night show where I can talk and flirt (even though I'm bad at it) and see and say 'hi' to some of the cool queer folks I see around who aren't really my friends but I wish they were. Both the show and the community that surround it combine to make me feel more welcome and comfortable going alone than a club would be, and it makes me happy to be part of that audience. All in all, it was a good show, but it was an even better audience. I can't wait 'til The Miracle Whips' next (longer) show, to test my theory that they foster this kind of audience and environment.

0 comments: