CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Statement of Purpose: Queer Feminist Theater Blogger

In my review of Arlington, a friend of mine who was involved in the production took offense at my comments on the gender issues of the play, accusing me of "slant" and "bias." Her comments have been bothering me for quite a while, and the conclusion I've come to is that yes, of course my comments are biased. My intention is this blog was originally just to keep track of my own ideas about theater I've seen. What this has evolved into is a brief critical analysis of shows from a feminist and queer perspective. These are not intended as mainstream reviews. I'm not writing them for a major newspaper or even a general theater audience. If I were to be writing reviews in a different venue, I would have a reason to be unbiased, but here on my own blog, I feel like I have a right to my own perspective and being opinionated.

Also, I think the world would be a better place if everyone approached all plays from a feminist perspective. Just because a show's treatment of women is "atrocious" (my word from the original post) doesn't necessarily mean that the show doesn't have redeeming qualities or make valid political points, but it does actually lower my appreciation of the play. The commentator asks "did she come to an anti-war play exclusively to see Rosie the Riveter?" Honestly, yes, I go to every play expecting and demanding equal, nuanced depictions of women. There have been far too many plays in the history of theater in which male playwrights write about the struggles of male protagonists and force women into the roles of wives, mothers, daughters, prostitutes, and maids. I think any theater written in this day and age has the responsibility to avoid these cliches at all costs. Just because it's a play about war, or brotherhood, or whatever, does not in my opinion, justify shortchanging women's lives and experiences. I feel that any play would be richer and stronger with a full consideration of the lives and perspectives of women, and that is what I ask to see when I go to see a show.

And that's what I'm here to write about. I approach any theater I see as a women (and a feminist, and femme, and queer), and I feel compelled, as a woman, to rail against misogyny, homophobia, chauvanism, and the neglect of women's voices in any performance I happen to see. I don't consider the experiences of straight white men to be universal, and I will continue to condemn any theater that tries to treat them as such. I don't want to revisit Arlington in this post, though I would encourage you, if given the opportunity, to view the play and decide for yourself and leave your thoughts in the comments.

0 comments: