CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, September 03, 2006

Full Disclosure

My most recent review, for Because They Have No Words, was the first review I've written (including the one published one) for which I've been officially asked to attend and review the show. I was absolutely delighted to get the invitation, and to receive not only a reviewer's comp ticket but also a press pack. It's not a play to which I would have automatically been drawn, but I very much appreciated it and was glad I went.

Though it was only one show that I was asked to review, and my blog readership isn't so powerful that others are queuing up for my attention, this is something that I didn't even imagine when I started this blog mostly to keep track of the shows I saw. It makes me want to enter into a larger conversation. I may not be anything like a professional reviewer, but I think I write about theater at least as well as the theater reviews they post on LAist, which tend to be few and far between. It makes me wonder if there's a way to be a little more public about this blog, wonder if it will grow somehow as I review more shows, wonder who's reading, wonder what I should be doing about it if anything. Are there other LA theater blogs out there that I don't know about? Other queer and/or feminist theater blogs? If so, I'd love to find them.

Though my current career path doesn't exactly lead to being a professional reviewer, in many ways it would be my dream job to attend plays and write about them for a living (or read books and write about them for a living). Just the thought of receiving comp tickets to the theater or review copies of books makes me nearly ecstatic. Of course, I'm not sure how well my queer, feminist perspective and my tendency toward wacky performance art would mesh with a real reviewing gig, but a girl can dream, can't she?

0 comments: